Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One Week Warning

On November 18th, my old Verizon phone will no longer be in service, nor will that phone number.

About two months ago, I sent most of the people who would read this a text message with my new phone number. If you haven't received that number, it's 307-747-xxxx, where xxxx is the last four digits of my old number. If you don't know what that is, than I never gave you my phone number in the first place, and sure as hell won't give it to you now.

One more telecommunications fact: The laws for local number portability state that if you want to port from Company A into Company B's network, then Company B's service area must include the Area Code into which you are porting from, or the FCC won't allow it. So, if the company I'm porting to doesn't have a tower in the Pittsburgh Area (and they don't), I have to get a new phone number.

But, if I ever leave Company B and return to Company A or even Company C, their service area includes where I am now (even if it is a stretch), and can port this number back to A or C.

No comments: