Thursday, March 13, 2008

I ♥ My Job

Monday was review day at work. I was dreading the scrutiny of my superious but I left the directors office in a really good mood. Basically, they rate you on general metrics which is 35% of the score (plays well with others, loyalty, work ethic, etc), your general job duties specific to your job title, which is 40% (does this IT thing, does that IT thing), and the last 25% is how well you achived your goals specific to this year (in my case, learn how to do A, B, and C). They rate each metric on a scale of 1-4.

  • 1 means you suck, and need to straighten up and fly right
  • 2 is satisfactory, in other words, your not screwing it up
  • 3 is above average; "hey! we're glad we hired you! Hooray!"
  • 4 is supurb; they start chucking fat rolls of currency at your head until you argee to be their BFF.

all my numbers were 2's and 3's including 3's in interpersonal skills, Help Desk tasks, and Organization(?!). Anyone who knows me will know how unusual that last one is.

All of it brought up just about every reason why I didn't like my last job. BEGIN BITCHFEST:

  • I don't think they analyzed the need for the position before they posted the job. They Could've gotten away with hiring a part time person for data entry and some light filing, while my supervisor did most of the more interesting stuff.
  • When they finally DID hire a part time person to take over several of my job duties, my boss who was going to redefine my job description left to take another job, leaving me to mostly wonder what the hell I was supposed to be doing. Basically, my job was too look busy, which I am very bad at when I don't have anything to do.
  • My new boss' previous experience was managing data, which she was very good at. Her skills at managing people was GRAVELY LACKING. She made it clear that she didn't want me to do much more than breathe or blink without her written approval, then frowned on the fact that I didn't take more initative.
  • When I did something she didn't approve of, she didn't point it out or correct it, but rather added it to a list in my file until she complied enough of the little things to do a formal write-up of how I was a horrible employee and needs to focus and blah blah blah, which was sent to HR, the VP, and if she could have gotten away with it, probably my mother as well. She was like the fickle girlfriend I never had. I can't prove it, but I suspect that this was part of a goal to marginallize me until I left (if true, then SUCCESS!!), or just to eliminate my position without having to pay unemployment.
  • The technical duties that I had, which I think were a little overstated in the interview, were reduced to almost zero after two years there. I thought that if I stayed there for another year, my skills would lapse badly enough that I wouldn't be able to get a job in IT. This is probably what I was afraid of most.

END BITCHFEST;

Another reason why I really enjoyed review day was... well...

Pay Raise!!

3 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Haha!
Your boss = fickle girlfriend you never had.
Fencing = abusive boyfriend I never had.
Amusing, isn't it, how many good analogies can be drawn from romantic relationships?

Anonymous said...

congrads on the payraise

Fuzzy said...

(the post that laedelas is referring to is this one.

Yeah, I do that alot. it's a blast.
and thanks, matthew, for your support!